Tax Return Help

The Riderwood AARP Tax-Aide is a free tax preparation service available to residents and staff. We don’t deny service to anyone.

All of Riderwood’s preparers are volunteers and come from many backgrounds. Most of us are retired and find this a rewarding way to pay back after long and varied careers. Currently, four are volunteer Riderwood residents and four are non-resident volunteers from off campus. We are trained in most aspects of personal income tax law and are certified by the IRS each year. However, there are some complex income sources such as limited partnerships, rental property, and home offices that aren’t covered by our training. For them you may need a professional preparer.

We provide our services on campus during February, March and through mid-April. We work by appointment only, giving priority to prior year clients. There still are a few appointments available that can be made by calling Gerri Perry in the Resident Life Office at 301-572-8339.

When you come in, your assigned counselor will review your tax information and prepare your return. Then, a second person will review the work done to assure that it is correct before e-filing your return and giving you a printed copy.

There is no charge for our services as we are all volunteers and our equipment is either our own or is provided by the IRS or donations to the AARP Foundation. Riderwood provides us a work space as a public service. You can, of course, acknowledge our support with a donation to one of Riderwood’s charitable funds but we cannot take personal donations.

Your information is secure. It stays in your possession, and we keep none of your information at the site. Our local computers must pass rigid security tests, which includes your return being prepared over an encrypted connection at a remote location and electronically filed from that location.

Are there other choices?

There are several places to prepare your own taxes on-line if your return is relatively simple. The IRS provides a site,, for that purpose if your income is under $62,000. (Sorry, we can’t make specific recommendations for other free or professional services but check the IRS web site “Choose a Tax Professional” for more information).

2,140 total views, 2 views today